Friday, August 22, 2008

The pre-blog, and freaking out.

Alright, new blog, because I want to keep this separate from the main one (not that it has seen much action lately).

It's pretty self-explanatory - I got into medical school (after three years of trying!!) and the whole thing starts next Monday. Well, that isn't completely true, what with me having to do a bunch of things over the summer: communicable disease testing, CPR/First Aid training, find an apartment etc. Oh yeah, and plan my wedding which is going to happen smack dab in the middle of my first year.

Aside from the obvious elation, I've definitely had my moments where the main feeling borders more on 'how on Earth am I going to get through this?? What have I gotten myself into?' Now that Day One is almost here, I've been having more and more moments like that. I've been out of school for two years, and haven't written an exam in four. I've NEVER taken an anatomy class, and the only times that I've watched surgery, I've fainted. Lucky for me, I am surrounded my awesome people who work very hard to make me see that I can get through it. I also tell myself that if I'm good enough to get in, I'm good enough to get through - it won't be easy but I can do it. And now I have a place to vent.

5 comments:

Jaime said...

"if you're good enough to get in, you're good enough to get through."

that's some sage advice, friend.

you'll be great, and i am so proud of you!

Smitha said...

I have a friend who got in to med school after doing a degree in psych, so she felt a little unprepared for cadavers and such as well. I’m have no doubts that you’ll take to medicine even easier than she did. :D

Sharon said...

I hope you're having an awesome week of orientation and I can't wait to hear all about it! And I'm really looking forward to the stories about the other people you met this week who felt the EXACT same... to calm yourself and help you feel much better prepared for school!

Paula said...

Jen.
You are FANTASTIC.
You can do this.
As for the anatomy - well... you've got a friend who teaches undergraduate anatomy - and has been asked to help with the anatomy teachings to Western Med students - so I think this friend can definitely help you out!!! Not that you need it.

Sharon said...

I'm no anatomy prof or anything but I know some stuff... like where babies come from...